Founded in 1852, Shreve & Co. was the among the first jewelers in
California. Four years after the Gold Rush, George Coates Shreve
and his nephew Samuel Shreve traveled from New York to California
to open this family-owned shop that featured fancy
European goods and California-crafted jewelry. Silver was
plentiful, and the Shreves began creating trendsetting
"must-haves" from high quality silver.
By the late nineteenth century, the quiet elegance of the store,
the attention to detail in craftsmanship and the commitment
to service made Shreve & Co. the jewelry store for the Bay
Area’s most affluent clientele.
In March of 1906, the company relocated to a new earthquake-proof
building at the corner of San Francisco’s Post and